Tuesday, November 2, 2010

veganmofo.1.0: Cafe Eight (vegan cafe/restaurant in Tokyo)


My, it's been a very long time since I've blogged. But now I'm back, hopefully for good this time (at least for November, anyway). This may warrant a second intro:

So. I am currently studying architecture in Tokyo for a semester. Tokyo is not so kind to vegans, but it is possible to manage, of course. Most people can't fathom any type of diet that excludes fish, so I cook at home a lot. I live in a tiny studio apartment with an unfathomably tiny kitchen, so I can't go all gourmet most of the time, but I eat pretty well in general. You will see.

For Vegan MoFo I'll be blogging about living the gaijin student vegan life in Tokyo: cooking, grocery-shopping, eating, restaurants, cafes, etc. But minus sweets and desserts because I'm trying to avoid sugar (and all things sugar-like) for the time being.


Tonight I decided to take myself out for dinner after a long day of presentations at school, and I chose Cafe Eight. Cafe Eight is in Daikanyama (a fun little neighborhood) and is seriously the best vegan restaurant ever, of anywhere I've been. So of course it's the best in Tokyo, in my opinion. Firstly, all of the food I've tried is delicious and wholesome and wonderful. Secondly, you can hang out and do work or read or whatever for a couple of hours and nobody minds. It's kind of weirdly casual and formal at the same time, if that is possible. Thirdly, good music. Fourthly, the dessert display is gorgeous! Maybe I can't eat any of it anymore, but it all looks so pretty. See? Nutty fig loaf, chocolate-covered nutty fig loaf, pumpkin pudding, mont blancs, banana nut pudding, NY-style cheesecake, swiss roll things, tofu tiramisu, various types of breads... And all vegan, with unrefined sweeteners and wholesome ingredients, yeah!


The only thing I wish Cafe Eight had was a brunch menu, but alas.

Tonight I had the daily curry and some darjeeling tea. The curry has chickpeas, veggies and brown rice, and it comes with a lovely salad with a tahini-based dressing and some delicious marinated tofu cube and veggie thing that may or may not supposed to be feta (I mean, I don't care because it all tastes good). Check it out:


I love you Cafe Eight. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for posting again!

    That looks like a cozy little cafe! And keep the good work re. sugar freedom! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that you are writing again! I had some friends over to visit Tokyo, and they told about some vegan restaurant kept by buddhist monks, which apparently was amazing... sadly I don't remember the name. The food was very traditional Japanese, with tofu etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great spot!

    Also, any chance you might post photos of your "unfathomably tiny kitchen," please? :) I love tiny kitchens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement you all!

    Goddessofcake - I would love to know the name of the restaurant your friends went to, if you remember later. It sounds really interesting!

    Andy Dufresne - done and done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Cafe Eight! Good stuff. They published 3 recipe books (in Japanese) called Eat Your Vegetables. If you are learning to read Japanese recipes are a great for that.

    ReplyDelete